Friday, September 07, 2007

Holy Discontent

If you're only going to read one book the rest of this year, I suggest you read "Holy Discontent" by Bill Hybels. I just finished Hybels latest work during my break at the beach and I've never been more inspired to go home and change my community for the better.

Hybels argues that there are certain things in this world that we cannot stand. Once confronted with these social ills or human suffering, we have the potential to respond like Popeye and say, "I've had all I can stand, I can't stands no more." These firestorms of frustrations catalyze the insight and iron will needed to make things that "are not" as they "should be."

Here are some of the things I can't stand:

1)People who are beat up in this world because they have yet to experience the love of God.

2)People that have to go to bed hungry in my community.

3)Marriages that are being ripped apart because of selfish and sinful behavior.

4)People who live purposeless lives because they have yet to find their purpose in Christ.

5)Kids that have to go to school without decent school clothes and supplies.

6)Needless commercial debt and unwise financial stewardship that wrecks marriages and lives.

7) People who live lives of quiet desperation because they've yet to experience Biblical community.

8) Churches that are boring and irrelevant.

9) Struggling pastors who quit the ministry because they don't have a friend or coach that is encouraging them and helping them in ministry.

10) A wasted life without passion to change the world and make a significant impact for good.