Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Who to Vote For?

My friend Jeff Leake had a great post on his blog and I thought I would share it with you here. Great stuff, Jeff. Thanks.

Who Do I Vote For?

I listened to a podcast by Ed Young this past weekend called POLITICKED. During this message, he outlined five factors in his decision making as to who to vote for in a an election. His message was pretty intense, but I thought his outline was a good grid. I have listed it here with a few additional thoughts of my own. I added #3 and #7 to Ed's list:

1. The Character Question - which leaders shows a demonstrated trustworthiness? who seems to have an integrity where words and actions match?

2. The Compassion Question - a good leader should show genuine concern for those who need the greatest care and protection. So which candidate shows the greatest levels of compassion for the poor, the mistreated, the unborn, the abused, and disabled?

3. The Competence Question - in making any simple hiring decision, we have to ask the question, does this person have the skills and qualities to do the job? Is there a track record of effective leadership?

4. The Courage Question - which candidate has evidenced the ability to make the hard choices, to lead against the grain even of their own party, and to be willing to suffer personally for a greater good?

5. The Conviction Question - which candidate has verbalized and even more than that has demonstrated Biblical values? Who shows evidence of godly convictions? This requires us to know what our Biblical values are and to consider if the candidates we are considering share those values.

6. The Companionship Question - you can tell a lot about a person by who their friends are. So we ask, who does this person associate with, who supports them, and who opposes them?

7. The Catalyst Question - it is obvious that much about our government needs transformation. So much about our culture needs healed, restored, and redirected. Then we look at the division that exits between races, parties, and classes. Who will unify? Who will inspire positive change?

These seven evaluation points will help me in making my choices. I hope they are helpful to you. Remember, these questions are not just valid for the presidential race, but for any elective decision.